Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My Doll Quilt!

The Doll Quilt I made arrived at its destination last week. So, here are a few pictures of it. The colors really didn't photograph very well, but it was raining so going outside was not an option. Here is "Hollyhocks & Honeybees"...



I wanted to try something different with this quilt, so I machine appliqued the leaves and stems and used yo-yos for the hollyhocks. I wanted them to have fuzzy centers, so I used my pinking shears to cut small circles and attached them with embroidery floss tied in a knot with long tails. All in all, I am very pleased with the result. I learned some new things in the process and realized I need to spend more time machine quilting on pieced quilts to develop my machine quilting skills. Practicing on plain fabric just doesn't give me the same result. Maybe I get nervous or something, but I don't seem to be able to control the pieced quilt as well as plain fabric. I've got lots and lots of fabric in my stash, so I see a number of small quilts in my future. Practice makes perfect....I enjoyed the Doll Quilt Swap experience; it was lots of fun to design a quilt for the first time. I am still waiting, more or less patiently, for my quilt to arrive in the mail.

Until next time!

Wendy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful little quilt. I am sure the new owner loves it.
Teresa

Jenn Maruska said...

That is so pretty!

And I really like how you created the hollyhocks - very clever : )

Wendy said...

Thanks for your kind comments! I'm glad you like my little quilt. I sure had fun making it!

Mom said...

Hello...
I'm soliciting possible quilters that may be interested in a Seasons Quilt Swap. Please visit my blog at the link below for more information.

Margaret

http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/2007/07/four-seasons-quilt-swap-quilters-sewers.html